Recreational and tourism uses figure prominently into the town’s economy.
Cave of the Mounds, a privately owned and operated National Natural Landmark, is an important geologic feature of the town. Cave of the Mounds is recognized by the Chicago Academy of Sciences as “the significant cave of the upper Midwest”. In 1988, the United States Department of the Interior and the National Park Service designated Cave of the Mounds a National Natural Landmark.
The town is also home to Brigham Park. This 112 acre park is located just northeast of the Village of Blue Mounds on County Highway F, on the eastern Blue Mound. Named after Ebenezer Brigham, one of the first white settlers in this area, the park provides a panoramic view of the Wisconsin River Valley. Park features also include a group camp area, a 25 unit rustic campground, two shelter facilities, picnic area, play equipment, and a self-guided nature trail through a maple woods.
Blue Mounds State Park is on the tallest hill in Southern Wisconsin, on the western Blue Mound. The 1153 acre park is a popular place for recreational opportunities ranging from camping, swimming, hiking, birding, cross country skiing, and biking.
On the National Registrar of Historic Places, Little Norway is the oldest privately owned museum in America. The buildings are authentic Norse architecture, simple and durable. Little Norway houses the largest privately owned collection of Norwegian antiques in the United States.
Stewart County Park is the oldest county park in Dane County, established in 1935. Currently the lake is being dredged and hopefully will be brought back to its trout and bass fishing status known in the past. The park is located north of Mt. Horeb in the township on County Road JG.
The hills and valleys of the Town of Blue Mounds are popular for biking enthusiasts with several races and rides held annually over some of its roads.
The Town boasts beautiful creeks and streams which flow intro the Mill and Blue Mounds Creek Watershed, the Black Earth Creek Watershed, and the Sugar-Pecatonica Watershed. Several creeks have had recent management projects aimed at reducing erosion and encouraging clean, unpolluted waters for fishing and recreation.
The Town is home to several active cemeteries: German Valley, Erbe Rd., which is affiliated with and managed by Immanuel Lutheran Church in Mt. Horeb; East Blue Mounds, Barton Rd., which is managed by Town of Blue Mounds; North Side Cemetery, HWY 78 N of Mt. Horeb, which is managed by Union Cemetery Association in Mt. Horeb.
Most of the Town’s employment comes from the neighboring village of Mt. Horeb and the city of Madison, 25 miles to the east. Professional and educational opportunities at various levels occupy the majority of the Town’s residents. Agriculture remains the Town’s main land use, but the number of active farms has reduced from over 35 in the late 1980’s to about 20 today.
MOUNT HOREB PUBLIC LIBRARY:
The Town’s residents may obtain a library card from the Mount Horeb Public Library. Check the library’s website for current library programs for children and adults, such as book discussion groups, storytimes, author visits, writing workshops, and computer classes.
BLUE MOUNDS AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY:
The Blue Mounds Area Historical Society began in late 2004. Affiliation with the State Historical Society was completed in June of 2005.
Projects of interest to the society are:
- Compiling an oral history of the area
- Preservation of the historic Fort Blue Mounds site
- Creating a traveling exhibit for display
- Creating a walking tour of historic Blue Mounds
- Obtaining a building for permanent displays of historic artifacts