Town of Blue Mounds
Board of Supervisors
July 13, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
Dennis opened the regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors. Also present were Supervisors Al Antonson and John Brixy, and Clerk Helen Kahl. Treasurer, Nancy Goplin, was absent at the beginning of the meeting, but arrived by 8:00.
Helen read the minutes of the June 8 meeting. She clarified the schedule of rebates to the Cave of the Mounds on their liquor license. Al moved to approve as amended, John seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Road Report: Charlie mentioned that on Brandywein Trail there is a culvert which is eroded completely, somewhat due to salt running into it from the county garage. The board agreed to have Charlie get some prices on some different types of culverts better suited to salt running into it. A decision will be made at the next meeting.
Buildings and grounds, nothing to report.
Public Comments nothing.
Fargo Driveway Application. Charlie Steinhauer appeared to represent Neal Fargo. Dennis mentioned he’s talked to the Wisconsin Towns Association attorneys on this. They recommend there be a joint driveway agreement between both the landowner (Thompson) and the easement holder (Fargo). This would eliminate legal action in the case of future liability. He also explained some history on a previous situation where there was runoff into that valley. Because of the potential for erosion the board recommends that Fargo get an engineered plan for the driveway to present to the board. John moved we have an engineered plan before the Board would act on a driveway permit, and secondly that the liability and maintenance responsibilities be spelled out in a driveway agreement signed by both parties. Al seconded, motion passed, 3-0. Charlie questioned why we are requiring an engineered plan when the county approved it without such a plan. Charlie argued that this driveway will not exacerbate any problem that was fixed years ago. Dennis reiterated that a private engineer should do the engineered plan, not the county. Steinhauer also questioned the need for a driveway agreement between the parties. He asked for a Freedom of Information request for joint driveway agreements on file. Helen provided both parties with a recently filed driveway easement agreement.
Helen presented the bids for LP. Premiere Co Op-$1.099. FS (our current supplier)- $1.199. Allegiant Oil-$.899. Al moved we contract with Allegiant Oil at Lancaster at 89.9 Cents/gallon for 3500 gallons, prepaid. John seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Discussion regarding withdrawing from the Dane Com Agreement. Per the original contract, towns have to give18 months’ notice to the county after December 1, 2015, if you wish to withdraw. John suggests we file notice that we want to withdraw in 18 months. This doesn’t mean we have to withdraw, but we then would have our clock ticking on the 18 months, giving us the option to withdraw June 2, 2017. John moved we have Helen pull the original agreement, use the verbiage to write a letter dated December 2, 2015, invoking our right to withdraw from Dane Com. She would send a copy to President of Dane Co Board, the County Executive, DeJung, and cc Dane County Towns Association and our county supervisor. Al seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Regarding state legislation repealing towns’ right to contract with their counties on road projects, that was pulled from budget and therefore there’s no need for us to pass a resolution.
Comprehensive Plan. Dennis asked the board if we can meet with Mary Ellen during the day for her to present the updates to the plan.
The board discussed the various people who applied to be our inspector. John made some comparisons. Helen indicated Parkos presented a contract where he would be considered a part-time employee and we would provide insurance. Fenley’s proposal indicates he has his own liability coverage but it seems he’s also proposing we add him as well. Dennis suggested we have Rural look at Fenley’s proposal in regards to insurance. Al moved we give our 60 days’ notice to Independent Inspections. John seconded, Motion passed 3-0.
Land Use Committee Report. The Connolly petition was pulled. He is requesting a refund on his $300 fee. John made a motion to make a refund but retain $100 of the fee to compensate for time and communications provided. Al seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Report on Mt. Horeb Area Economic Development Committee. Al mentioned he’d heard the Grand Stay didn’t build a meeting room, which has been a repeated need in the village. Dennis mentioned they met with Ludwig Simmet who indicated that the company who bought the business is going to use some of the acres to expand. They are discussing the amount of empty store fronts on Main Street.
Update on State Legislation Affecting the Township. The budget provision which would have allowed Dane County towns to withdraw from county zoning came out of the budget at the last moment.
Correspondence: Helen read a letter to Judge Foust regarding the sex offender they are trying to place within the county. The board is not comfortable with placement here because we don’t have law enforcement locally. They signed the letter she presented.
Helen presented a bill from Metal Culverts for the culvert at the end of their driveway. When County HWY E and Blue Rock Road were moved in 1961 there became a need for a culvert to defer water running down the side of Blue Rock Road through their lawn. At the time the town or the county paid for the culvert. She proposed the town provide the culvert and the Kahls would pay for the installation. Dennis mentioned the precedence that the Joel Hefty culvert was put in years ago due to road construction and the state said it would replace their culvert since it was due to the road being moved. Al moved the town pay the $398.79 culvert expense for the culvert at Blue Rock and John Kahl driveway. John seconded, motion passed 3-0. Kahls will pay for the installation.
John moved to pay the bills of $24,936.37. Al seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Dennis talked about the new tractor being set up to have a grapple fork added to it, but when the tractor was bought he did not order the fork. He got a quote from Ritchie’s to put a 96” bucket and a grapple fork. Their price was $3125. We have $5000 budgeted for new equipment for 2015. Al moved to have Charlie and Dennis look at the bucket and that if they feel it’s heavy duty enough, to go ahead with the purchase. John seconded, motion passed 3-0.
Al moved to adjourn at 9:10 p.m. John seconded, motion passed 3-0..
Helen Kahl, Clerk